I fought my doctor for 4 years prior to him sending the referral to the bariatric clinic in Regina, Sask (the only place in Saskatchewan that currently does this type of surgery.
I knew there were other options but I was not going to Mexico for surgery. Call me crazy but air travel after surgery, the cost and the fact that the doctors aren’t even in my home country kind of made me a little uneasy – besides I knew this was going to be a long haul thing – might as well wait it out right?
- PCP Referral sent – August 15, 2014
- Confirmation letter from clinic received stating it would be approx 24 months to receive a call for initial assessment – Sept 9, 2014
- Call to see where on wait list I am find out I am looking at early 2017- Sept 30, 2016
- Call to see where I am on wait list again – Jan 20, 2017 & Feb 16, 2017
- Decide to just leave it until I hit 3 years on wait list and call if I hear nothing – March 2017
- Phone call for initial assessment – May 12, 2017
- Receive letter confirming appointments & initial blood work rec received – May 19, 2017
- Initial blood work done – June 3, 2017
- Initial consult – June 21 & 22, 2017
- Approved to follow the 6th month program. Appointments happen at 2,4 and 6 months. Met with Surgeon, Nurse, Psychology, Dietitian, no exercise therapist.
- Next appointment Aug 21, 2017
- Team is happy with my progress – Lost 8 pounds in 2 months, reduced calories by 100 so now eating 1400 a day instead of 1500 calories a day.
- Next appointment Oct 17, 2017